Professor Charles Chukwuma Soludo, who ran for Governor of Anambra State under the auspices of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), has been declared the winner of the governorship election today, 10th November 2021 by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
Soludo, who became a household name when he became the governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), has played prominent roles in National development.
Here are 10 facts about the governor-elect of Anambra State:
- Prof. Charles Soludo was born on the 28th July 1960 in Aguata LGA, Anambra State.
2. He is married to Nonye Soludo, who holds a Master of Science in Accounting and Finance from the University of Westminister, UK. Mrs. Soludo is also from Aguata LGA of Anambra State. Their marriage has produced 6 children.
3. Prof. Soludo graduated with First Class Honours in 1984, obtained an MSc in Economics in 1987, and a Ph.D. in 1989, winning prizes for being the best student at all three levels. A prolific macroeconomist, he obtained his three degrees and then a professorship at the University of Nigeria in Nsukka, Enugu State.
4. He has been a visiting scholar at the International Monetary Fun (IMF), the University of Cambridge, the Brookings Institution, the University of Warwick, and the University of Oxford.
5. Professor Soludo joined the Federal Government of Nigeria in July 2003 as the Economic Adviser to President Obasanjo and the Chief Executive of the National Planning Commission (NPC). Among other accomplishments during the 10 months in office, he was the Chairman/Coordinator of the team that drafted Nigeria’s economic and social reform program (2003-2007), the National Economic Empowerment and Development Strategy (NEEDS), and also pioneered the collaborative planning framework in the Nigerian federation by initiating and assisting state governments in designing their State Economic Empowerment and Development Strategy (SEEDS).
6. Soludo was named governor of the CBN on 29th May, 2004. As CBN Governor, Professor Soludo is credited with refocusing the Central Bank as an effective monetary authority, successfully implementing a fundamental restructuring which is said to have led to unprecedented consolidation of the Nigerian banking system. According to a statement on the CBN official page, Soludo championed the establishment of the Africa Finance Corporation (AFC), a continental, private -sector-driven, an investment bank.
7. Soludo announced his interest in becoming Governor of Anambra State in September 2009. He contested under the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and lost to Peter Obi of APGA.
8. Again, in February 2021, Soludo officially declared his intention to run for governor of Anambra State. this time under the wings of APGA. This time, clinching the ticket and emerging as the winner of the gubernatorial elections in Anambra State.
Story: Ene Ken-Yawe