Sudanese authorities have reported a failed coup attempt, which was carried out in the early hours of Tuesday, 21st September 2021 to overthrow the country’s transitional government, blaming military officers and civilians from the former government of deposed President Omar al-Bashir.
Sudan’s Prime Minister Abdallah Hamdok addressed the attempted coup as “an extension of previous attempts” to overthrow the transitional government created after al-Bashir was removed from power in 2019 by the military following months of mass protests against his rule.
He said “They tried to take advantage of the situation in different towns by closing the ports and the roads. They took advantage of the national crisis and tried to stop us from moving forward during this transitional period.”
The military said most of the people involved in the coup attempt had been arrested, including 11 officers.
“The army regained control over the sites that perpetrators sought to seize,” it said. “Searches and investigations are still ongoing for others involved.”
Sudan is currently ruled by a transitional government composed of both civilian and military representatives that was installed in the aftermath of the previous president, al-Bashir’s overthrow, and is tasked with overseeing a return to full civilian rule.
Deep political divisions and chronic economic problems inherited from the al-Bashir era have overshadowed the transition.
Tensions between civilian and military have persisted, as have tensions between the military and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, which operate under the auspices of the military.
Story: Ene Ken-Yawe
Pictures: Ibrahim Ishaq/AFP